Table of Contents
I met SPF13 last year – remembered having a good chat with him and when I was thinking about my blog, I considered various options:
Then I remembered Hugo.
It's been a very long time since I created a blog – I've owned AngelTech.com for a very long time, but that's hosted w/o https certificates, and is a pain to move, due to locked DNS entries, so I thought I'd try hosting on Github pages. (ed note later moved to firebase hosting)
So far, I'm quite happy with it, I'm about a 30 minute user. At this point, I've found that many of the available templates don't work right out of the box, w/ the exception of the list below. (I tried them all)
- When there is no theme, it still hangs in server mode.
- Changes to config.toml don't get pickedup durring –watch
My Preferred Themes
- lanyon – Black & White – really good looking & behaving.
- journal – delightful = lots of red – some tweaks needed. (I chose this one!)
- hugoscroll – delightful big colors – needs customization
- greyshade – good (modify the about)
- heather-hugo – good
- hyde – good
- herring-cove – good (near empty home page)
- html5 – good – very sparce home page – no basic width
- hugo-base-theme - good - needs mods – huge picture
- hugo-bootswatch - Very nice
- hugo-incorporated – Really like – missing About, has XML
- landing-page-hugo – really nice looking, not for me.
- liquorice – nice bw theme – missing about
- nofancy – simple nice.
- pixyll – Nice - big & bold - bw
- shiori – very professional – missing about
- simple-a - nice – very sparse
- slim - weird UX
- tachyons – nice, but full screen – awkward for blogs.
- tinyce – minimal, missing about - Missing para breaks
- twentyfourteen – lots of search boxes – very long lines
Now I'm about 2 hours into it. Still happy – but disappointed at the Theme quality.